If this is your first time here, you may want to subscribe to the site feed (also available by email) so that you will be alerted as soon as new content is posted.  Check out the index for a list of all posts, see the most popular content, go to a random post, or take a look at the Free Christmas Music website for even more music.  Please send me an email if you need to contact me for any reason.

Search for free Christmas music

Enter the name of a song or artist and click Search.
More information about this custom search engine

2010-12-14

The Brantley Family Band 2010 X-mas Album

When I posted about The Brantley Family Band and their annual Christmas albums a couple of weeks ago, I figured that it was only a matter of time before a new album from them would show up.  Their new album was actually released yesterday, as they kindly pointed out in their comment on that post.  The 2010 album has four songs, bringing their discography up to a whopping 32 songs, and is available from their Bandcamp page (where the track listing has been updated to include the).

The album leads off with a great cover of Paul McCartney's "Wonderful Xmas Time" and a characteristically zany version of "I'll Be Home for Christmas".  A beautiful version of Vince Guaraldi's "Skating" (from A Charlie Brown Christmas) is up next; the dazzling, virtuoso guitar playing in this song easily places it in the upper echelon of the band's catalogue.  The album concludes with a mindblowing version of "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch".  Like last year's "Jingle Bell Rock", this one features a rapid fire series of genre changes, most of which I don't even have names for.  I love the country verse in the middle of the song, which has a Johnny Cash feel, but it is the metal verses that bookend the song that have remained stuck in my head since the first time I heard the song.  I was initially disappointed that the metal style wasn't used for the entire song, but the more I listen to it, the more awed I am by the way they deftly hop from genre to genre - I can't think of too many bands who could pull something like that off so convincingly.  Happy listening!

URL:

No comments: